PREPARING FOR RAMADĀN
SOME USEFUL TIPS
It is important for us to prepare for the Holy month of Ramadān in order to reap the maximum benefits from this month.
Rasuulullaah (Sallallaahu `Alayhi Wa Sallam ) and his noble Sahabas [R.A.] used to look forward to the coming of the blessed month of Ramadaan. The Holy Prophet Muhammad [S] would say in his supplication:
اَللهُمَّ بَارِك لَنَا فِيْ رَجَب وَ شَعْبَان وَ بَلِّغْنَا رَمَضَان
ALLĀHUMMA BĀRIK LANĀ FĪ RAJAB WA SHA`BĀN WA BALLIGH-NĀ RAMADĀN
O ALLAH BLESS US IN THE MONTH OF RAJAB AND (IN THE MONTH OF) SHA`BĀN,AND HELP US TO MEET AND SPEND RAMADĀN (IN A DESERVING MANNER).
Ramadān is the month of excitement and enlightenment for muslims. It is the month of revelation of the Holy Qur’an, the month of reading and reciting the whole Qur’an, the month of Tahajjud and Qiyāmul Layl, of Tarāwih prayers, of Sadaqah, Zakātul-fitr and Zakātul-maal. It is also a month of social activities among Muslims.
No one can go anywhere without preparation, and no one invites a guest without preparing to welcome him/her. Similarly, to welcome Ramadān, the month of fasting, one has to prepare. The following are some tips to help you receive and welcome this noble Month of Ramadān.
THINGS TO DO
1. Try to fast Mondays and Thursdays as of today.
2. Start reading Qur’an daily after Salātul Fajr.
3. Spend some time listening to recitations from the Qur’an.
4. Train yourself to go to bed early so that you can wake up for Salātul Fajr.
5. Keep yourself in a state of wudū’ at all times.
6. Evaluate yourself daily before going to bed. Thank Almighty Allah for all the good deeds you do, and repent to Him for your mistakes and sins.
7. Give yourself some time alone, so that you can meditate, make Dhikr, Tasbīh, Takbīr, Tahmīd, Tahlīl and other forms of Dhikr. You will experience spiritual elevation and you will enjoy life tremendously.
8. Those who can afford to make `Umrah before Ramadān comes should do so, and those who are able to perform `Umrah in Ramadān should do so. `Umrah in Ramadān is equivalent to a Hajj.
9. Start giving sadaqah daily, no matter how little it is. Make it a habit like eating and drinking.
10. Find time to pray extra Nawāfil Salāh, such as Salātul Duha, Qiyāmul Layl, and Salātul Tahajjud.
11. Spend more time reading Islamic books, especially the Holy Qur`an, books on Seerah, Hadith, and Fiqh.
12. Find time to help others with your wisdom, knowledge and other talents.
13. Try to write articles on Islam for Muslims and others for Non-Muslims.
14. Associate with Muslim scholars, `ulama, and pious believers so that you may learn from them.
15. Train yourself to do good deeds, no matter how insignificant it may seem, and render useful service to others.
16. Try to learn how to make Da`wah to Non-Muslims, and engage in this noble activity. It is an art requiring knowledge and training.
17. Try to spend more time with your family and remind them to prepare for Ramadān as well.